FAITH INTERRUPTED played to rave reviews at the September 2021 CHICAGO Feedback Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Thomas: There has been a clear need to amplify survivors’ voices and emotions, as well as desire to create a tool to garner support and education.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
Thomas: Wow. The original writing began mid-2018. Final changes were made March 2021. So, almost 3 years for 15 minutes!
Marquis: Thomas approached me about it in mid 2018. We filmed it at the end of 2018, we spent most of 2019 in post production looking for different editors to help until I decided to just edit it.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
Thomas: Searing, cathartic.
Marquis: Gripping & Intuitive
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Thomas: For me, it was the research. Speaking to several survivors to extrapolate what I needed.
Marquis: For me it was walking through the process with the actress (Ty Love) before and during her performance. Sitting in the editing lab was tough as well, knowing where she (Ty Love) was pulling from.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Thomas: Tears of joy – the responses showed that every intentional decision had its intended affectation.
Marquis: Very Humbling to see the impact it has had.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Thomas: Honestly, only about 10 years ago. Music was my first creative love.
Marquis: About 16 years ago. I was in High School shooting small segments for the morning school news.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Thomas: Toss up between “Constantine” and “The Professional.”
Marquis: “The Dark Knight”
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are your feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
Marquis: I like it, it gives filmmakers an opportunity to get their voices out there and showcase their work to a whole new audience.
9. What is your favorite meal?
Thomas: Birria tacos!
Marquis: Seafood!! But not oysters.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Thomas: Either a short film on depression, or a cinematic PSA to help curb street violence here in Chicago.
Marquis: I have a couple in the works; both of them are about attacking your dreams despite your circumstances. Both of them are very gritty projects.