1. What is your screenplay about?
SHADY’S LAST STAND by Stan Barton.
When a misplaced border wall throws his honky-tonk into no-man’s land, a broke-down rodeo rider establishes his own country to offer folks a second chance, but powerful politicians have other ideas.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Drama, Western, Political Satire
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It could bring “border wall” conservatives and the folks on the other end of the political spectrum together by offering a feel-good movie with a good-old boy that dislikes government as the hero, but believes in offering people second chances.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Sleepless in Seattle
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
3 years off and on
7. How many stories have you written?
5 features, 1 TV Pilot, 1 Web-series (6 stories), 1 short
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
You Really Got a Hold on Me (Smokey Robinson)
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Trying to make it believable that a guy can have his own country.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Stock investing and horse-race handicapping.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
I like it, always reliable and easy to navigate. Good follow up and tracking.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
My project makes a political statement, and I felt the judges would recognize that.
The feedback was very positive, which always feels good: however, I have learned the negative criticism is more useful. There wasn’t many suggestions for improving the script, which has been polished a number of times already.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
When a misplaced border wall throws his honky-tonk into no-man’s land, Shady establishes a new kingdom to offer folks a second chance, but powerful politicians have other ideas.
Narrator: Elizabeth Rose Morriss
Santos: Steve Rizzo
Shady: Geoff Mays
Landry: Sean Ballantyne