ALL FOR A HELEN was the winner of BEST EXPERIMENTALL Film at the August 2021 Experimental Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I am currently into my DMA in Music Composition, and I wanted to research and experiment with the formation of time using audiovisual means. Personally, I approach composition as the “creation” of a certain experience of time and I wondered (and still do!) how this time experience changes with the use of film footage from various sources, dedicated to the same narrative goal.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
It took me three months! I was composing both media at the same time, and that was a new experience for me.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
Audio – Visual !
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
I think composing both music and film at the same time was the most demanding aspect of the work for me: I had to use two different programs a music composition DAW and an editing program, at the same time which made creating a unified timeline very difficult. That unified timeline, the space where I wanted to see the interaction between sound and image, was the most crucial element of the composition process for me.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I felt very humbled and immensely grateful. Felt like I was part of a global film loving family.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I can not recall 😊. I guess when I realized that I needed to start searching for myself.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Mine because I was editing it. And Sofia Coppola’s Lost In Translation.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
For me as a primarily musician that doesn’t have connections to the festivals, it was a lifesaver. It helped immensely in the search for festivals and in the submission process. I liked how everything was neatly concentrated in one place.
9. What is your favorite meal?
My mama’s homemade crepes!
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I got a doctorate thesis to start (and hopefully finish) in researching the narrative possibilities of abstract footage and sound/music. I will keep studying how differently time is formed in and between the two mediums and hopefully be able to experiment further on a new film. World be aware! 😄