BARE NAKED TRUTHS played to rave reviews at the August 2021 Under 5 Minute Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I was looking to produce a short film that would be realistic to produce for a new filmmaker with no money. Creator of the series, Ellen DeSitter, brought me her idea to film a “vignette-style” series of monologues about the struggles nude models go through while posing for drawing classes. I loved the idea and immediately realized all the ways it could be an exciting challenge–for example, filming actors who can’t move–while also being an idea that could generate a lot of content on a no-budget.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
We filmed 10 episodes of the series in 2 days in March 0f 2019. It took us a while to find support on the post-production side of things, but luckily found our incredible editor Ana Christian and amazing sound designer, Cait Rappel, and they were able to work from home during the pandemic to get our first three episodes finished in April 2020.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
On the production side of things, it was really just myself and Ellen figuring it all out, which was tough. Organizing a 10 episode web series production, while also being the director, actor, and writers requires a lot of attention to detail and organization. But we were supported excellently by our DP, J.J. Littlefield, the actors and the artists, and the rest of the crew, so once we got to set, things fell right into place.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Flattered! And as a director, relieved to hear that at least a few people picked up on the intentions and nuances I was trying to weave into the film!
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I went to school to be an actor, but I think I always had the desire to make films more than I had the desire to star in them. I didn’t really know that women could make movies until I grew up and fully realized that I could do whatever I wanted, even if it didn’t look like there was room for me.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Probably the Fellowship of the Ring.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It is a breeze. It’s such a relief to have all the festival information and submission details in one place so you don’t have to keep track of it all yourself.
9. What is your favorite meal?
10. What is next for you? A new film?
As for Bare Naked Truths, we are using our first season to grow our audience so we can get season 2 off the ground! Season 2 is going to be a more traditional episodic that gets more in depth about the characters, their struggles, and their relationships with each other. I am also currently writing my first feature film, a later in life coming of age story about a woman’s struggle with making bad decisions.