1. What is your screenplay about?
In a world like ours, where conscious robots are commonplace, a poor but courageous female android enters a futuristic martial arts tournament to save her old neighborhood and beloved first home from greedy developers.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Action, Adventure, Drama, Sci-Fi, Sports (these last 2 primarily).
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
Because I want more settings and stories with conscious A.I.s/robots as widespread in their worlds rather than isolated cases, with their story conflict and drama coming from nonviolent causes. I want to expand these stories beyond the tired stereotypes of Frankenstein, Pinocchio, Pygmalion, or a slave uprising.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
2-3 months on this draft, the concept and setting I’ve been refining for several years.
7. How many stories have you written?
4 Feature Films and 1 Short Film as of June 2021.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
‘The Remedy’ by Jason Mraz.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
I had to research OCR (Obstacle Course Racing) and 4 martial arts styles for their movesets, develop convincing supporting characters, determine an engaging and valid motivation for my protagonist, and keep the pacing steady. I also had to work through multiple drafts to create dialogue that was both realistic and authentic to the characters.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Advances in conscious A.I., alternative approaches to nuclear fusion, especially LPPFusion’s work.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
Positive and highly convenient so far, I highly recommend it to other screenwriters.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
A contest recommendation via FilmFreeway, and free script feedback for entry. I found the initial feedback useful and accurate, and plan to incorporate it into future drafts.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
In a world like ours, where conscious robots are commonplace, a courageous female android enters a futuristic martial arts tournament to save her old neighborhood from developers.
Narration: Bill Poulin
Advertiser/Liz-217: Kyana Teresa
Meathead Kerel/Umar: Geoff Mays
Terrapin S.I./Tia-ng: Hannah Ehman
Soroban Narrator: Allan Michael Brunet