SODO EXPRESS was the winner of BEST SOUND & MUSIC at the July 2021 EXPERIMENTAL Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
It was an interview I saw with tech guru Jaron Lanier on British tv about social media and our growing reliance on it.
Coming from a documentary world I wanted to make something around the subject but for the first time I wanted do it in a fictional and a very different and very creative way.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make your movie?
The initial idea came early 2019, and we spent the rest of that year shooting on and off, mainly when we had time and access to the locations. Then in 2020 we edited, during covid, remotely. Really we just finished it around Feb/March 2021 with the last of the sound design and the finishing touches on the animation.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Covid didn’t help but momentum really. Keeping that momentum from shoot to edit, to post to the audio. Keeping the energy up amongst the crew whilst producing is never that easy.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
They got it. They all got exactly what I wanted them to understand. It was really exciting heading complete strangers air their opinions and it felt very encouraging and made it all worth it.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
15 or 16.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
La Haine and possibly
Saying that, I have a kid now, so it might be Moana :))))
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
Filmfreeway is great – I think trying to understand how to discern which festivals are suitable for your production is something useful for indie filmmakers. So potentially a concierge service might be great to include if the platform grows any bigger.
9. What is your favorite meal?
Such a difficult question.
Unagi Don comes to mind or a Pad Krapow Moo. I love dim sum and a solid Szechuan meal. Saying all that maybe just a good old British roast on a Sunday with a pint in my local pub. I can’t really call one over the other.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Got a few in the pipeline – we’re hopefully moving into production for a small feature towards the end of this year to be shot in the UK which is an extension of Sodo Express. Again a struggling artist, but this time with issues regarding identity and ethnicity – issues close to me being a multiracial Londoner!