POST ELECTION WORKS played to rave reviews at the July 2021 POLITICAL Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
There was so much grassroots activism after the 2016 election that I wanted a way to create a context for protests and also for activist, ephemeral artwork – signs, posters, pins – like the type I was creating.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make your film?
It took me three years as I was developing works of art and then had to develop a formal strategy on how to work with the moment, the artwork and the context.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Finding a structure that made the concepts around history legible.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I loved it. I have not been able to screen with an audience and this was the first time I heard strangers speak about the film. It was a huge relief that so many of my ideas actually connected with the audience.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I love cinema.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Thelma and Louise. I used to teach screenwriting and would show the opening sequence of this film as an example of how to visually establish character.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I was a bit skeptical but took the leap!
9. What is your favorite meal?
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Prior to the pandemic, I had a gallery show titled, “If All of this Were Silence” which was a room full of books, all written by women, and in some way or another were guides on how to survive the patriarchy – whether it be by being a submissive Christian woman who complements her husband or by living as a lesbian separatist. In the room, I had a recording booth and people could come in and record passages from this huge range of writing and thought. I am in the process of editing these readings together to create an exquisite corpse sound piece. I also have photographs of all the book covers and might make another video which combines the audience readings with the book covers.