THIS FAR APART played to rave reviews at the May 2021 DANCE Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
We were commissioned by Swedish TV to make a short dance film. My partner, T.M Rives is a brilliant filmmaker and storyteller. We never worked together. Plus a completely deserted Central Park in spring of May 2020. All stars aligned.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
The idea probably percolated in my partner T.M. Rives’s mind, who shot, edited and composed the music, for a few weeks. The actual execution took 2 days- one day of shooting, one day of editing. Plus all the color, sound finicking a perfectionist endures once the edit is more or less in place.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Not having another hand help us carry camera gear around Central Park!
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Touched and very happy it sparked an emotional response. That’s all we really want out of art, isn’t it.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Well, it’s really T.M.Rives that is the driving force here. He’s been making films for a while, and we never made something together. It felt like the right moment- stuck at home together and itchy to create.
7. Do you have a favorite dancer?
Many. Hard to say, but if I absolutely had to: Jermaine Spivey.
8. What film have you seen the most in your life?
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are your feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I think it’s a fantastic platform. I highly recommend it.
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
A few new commissions I’m excited to share about when the time comes, going home to Romania to visit my family, and getting the vaccine! And yes a new film coming hopefully in the fall.