THE TAILOR was the winner of BEST SHORT FILM at the April 2021 LGBTQ+ Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I had been writing for a few years and wanted to make a film. I liked the humanity in this story and the message. I came out at a later age and there were personal consequences to that. I thought it was an important story to tell.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
It took approximately 2 years.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
tender and beautiful
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Honestly, the biggest obstacle was myself. This was first film and it was a steep learning curve. I didn’t always feel the most confident as a Director. But I learned important lessons on how I work creatively in relation to film making which in the end is a huge gift.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was moved by their generosity. And was surprised how perceptive they were at noticing the nuances and choices that were put into the film. It was lovely to watch. I greatly appreciated the feedback.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
I was sitting at a gathering and in that building was a tailor shop. One of the guests mentioned that they believed they were the master tailor’s last clients as he had recently passed. So, I began thinking about this elderly tailor and the reasons why he kept the shop open into his 90s. And as I went deeper into the story, I realized I was flushing out a story about the relationship with my mother and my coming out and ultimately self acceptance.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Probably Rust and Bone.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It’s fantastic. Everything you need really in one place. The festival descriptions and mandates were especially helpful in curating my submissions.
9. What is your favorite meal?
Hands down spaghetti bolognese
10. What is next for you? A new film?
There are a few films in the works but I have another short film titled “Latchkey” that is ready to be filmed and am in the process of securing funding for it.