THE SLEEPLESS was awarded BEST BLACK & WHITE film at the April 2021 WILDsound Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I was writing a 40 minute short at first but i realized it will be very complicated and expensive to shoot so one night i started brainstorming and came up with the idea of this film. my goal was to keep the setting very simple yet interesting. It’s hard to believe but I wrote the script in one sitting and just did a few edits later. The whole dialogue and story just came rushing out of me with no interruptions.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
I wrote the script in one night. the preproduction took one month. The hardest part was getting to Eric roberts. we shot it over 2 full days. and editing took 2 weeks. I still feel it was not enough time on set. I would have loved to have done more takes.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The hardest part was getting an answer from Eric’s agent. He was a dick
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was so fascinating to see others liking the same exact things I like about my film, like cinematography. it was great to see others having the same point of view as me. I also think they were very kind to me in their feedback.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
I love the thriller mystery genre and this was my interpretation of a one scene thriller.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Casino Royale. I think it’s a masterpiece. I’m not a huge fan of 2001 a space odyssey. I have a very specific taste.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I think Filmfreeway makes it very easy and streamlined
9. What is your favorite meal?
I’m Iranian American so my favorite food is an Iranian dish called GHORMEH SABZI which is a stew made from beef, beans and lots of vegetables served with rice.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes, I started writing a feature thriller and I’m 1/3 done. It’s a lot more work but I can’t wait to finish it and shoot it. There will be many twists in this film as well.
Please see the interview below