1. What is your short story about?
It’s about a double cross and the duality of life.
2. What genres would you say this story is in?
3. How would you describe this story in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
I’ve seen a lot. I love film. Another favorite is “The Searchers” (John Ford, my idol). I’m obsessed with the true story of Cynthia Ann Parker. Fascinating.
5. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
“A Song For You” by Leon Russell. Any version. It’s that special of a song. He wrote a timeless standard.
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
Anything Vonnegut, also I love Kafka for the sheer volume of surreal in his game.
7. What motivated you to write this story?
I was walking the dogs.
I had been alternately reading short stories by Hemingway and Paul Bowels.
It was borne of that. Also a good tip for writers. Mash up your reading. Short stories are easiest to do this with.
8. If you could have dinner with one person (dead or alive), who would that be?
My Mother and Father.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
A better earth where we can all understand one another again.
A better place for our children and grandchildren to inherit.
I may write hard boiled stories, but down deep I’m a softie.
10. What influenced you to enter your story to get performed?
I LOVE to hear the material read by 3rd parties. It gives me a better perspective of the piece and what works and doesn’t.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Don’t fucking stop.
Can’t fucking stop.
Please yourself first.
Fly, Baby, Fly.
Watch the Short Story Reading:
Performed by Val Cole