FATHER was the winner of BEST FILM at the January 2021 Under 5 Minute Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
– I had the idea for about a year, then had to come up with a project proposal for uni. In the beginning, I came up with a few new ideas but ended up going with the very first one, Father.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you
to make this short?
-The idea, I had in 2018, while visiting my parents in Crete. I started the pre-production phase in the early months of 2019, at my university, and had it completed by November 2019.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
-Home & Connection.
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
-During the time I was making Father, I was studying full time as well as taking care of my grandparents. Thankfully, my lecturers allowed me to work from home for some of my classes during the second half of my course, so I had all the equipment set up at my place.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
-Overwhelmed with excitement and moved enormously.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
-It’s based on my relationship with my father. He is a musician and I play a bit. We often communicate better with body language, music or facial expressions, rather than speech.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I find FilmFreeway very easy to use and helpful. I had never even thought of submitting to film festivals until one of my lecturers recommended it and helped me set it up. I was amazed at how easy it was to use.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
-TNT by AC/DC.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
At the moment, I’ve been working on some commission portraits and album covers. My plan is to gradually set up my own stop motion studio to create more films.