THE GRIN OF EVIL was awarded BEST FILM at the January 2021 FAN FICTION Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I’ve been cosplaying the Joker for several years now and the idea of taking it to the next level was always there. What would it be like watching the most faithful comic adaptation of the character aside from the movies? One true to the character we all love from the comics. So that was the trigger. It’s not about watching a new version but to see him coming out of a comic page to the big screen.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
It took us almost two years to get it done. Making the practical props and devices such as the Jack-in-the-box and the ‘Grin of Evil’ sign was the longest part. And then the post-production process was a challenge too. What a journey!
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Well, definitely the biggest was the whole post-production process. We spent most of the time trying to animate the background through a green screen because something we couldn’t quite solve on set was the reason the film was delayed. And I would really like to thank Cheby (Sebastián Contreras) who helped us finishing it!
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I’m thrilled! It’s amazing to see how they feel about it because it’s exactly what we intended. It’s a great achievement and it sure encourage us to keep on creating. Thank you all!
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
Frankly, creating a Joker series was something I’d always envisioned. But in order to make it happen, we needed a teaser trailer first to show the audience what we had in mind. I knew it had to be something quite different, something new. Something intriguing too, by showing without really showing too much. So the idea of a Joker atmosphere came up and we knew that was it.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I would say Star Wars and of course all the Batman films.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are your feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective? /
I think it’s a fantastic tool! It helps us sharing our work worldwide plus it’s easy to use. I would definitely recommend it!
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Well I don’t really know if there’s only one song. I mean I can listen to some classical music songs, maybe some jazz or even Eminem. I guess it depends on what I’m creating at the moment!
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes, we have some more projects up our sleeve. Some of them are Joker related, and some others are completely original ideas. We are very excited about them and hope to be able to make them and share them with you all soon!