1) What is the theme of your poem?
That transformative power of -what the Greeks called- Storge/Philia love, especially when found in an unlikely place and between unlikely people.
2) What motivated you to write this poem?
My relationship with a student who has become a son to me. A rather tricky thing as I am a gay man and many people would find the relationship, which, of course, says so much more about their prejudice and homophobia than my capacity to love another human being as my own child.
3) How long have you been writing poetry?
Since age 17; 35 years
4) If you could have dinner with one person (dead or alive), who would
5) What influenced you to submit to have your poetry performed by a
I work with actors all the time; I am a playwright. I love actors!
It is always nice to see how someone else reads a poem.
6) Do you write other works? scripts? Short Stories? Etc..?
I am a professional playwright for 26 years; I also, occasionally, write screenplays.
7) What is your passion in life?
Writing and teaching and traveling; in my world -all three happen together!
Watch the Poetry Reading: