FROM THE THUNDER was voted BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY at the May 2020 WILDsound FEEDBACK Film Festival. A representation of the best DRAMA short films from around the world today.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Daniel Everitt-Lock: It was originally part of a 3 year plan, starting with a VR film that we created with my old company. The piece was called ‘Humanity’. Well received thankfully. It was based on the Christmas Truce of 1914. This led us to undertake the short, that would then be adapted into a feature. We are still looking to make the feature next year. This is called ‘Iron Harvest’.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for
you to make this short?
As above, this was the second year in a three year plan. Once we crowdfunded, we had a month of pre production, 2 day shoot, then 2 months of intermittent post.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
As described in my favourite review, A Poem on Humanity. (I know that’s 4 words, but 2 of them are small… 😉 )
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Crowdfunding…. By far. That was more work than the film, and the things myself and my producer had to do to raise the money were ridiculous….
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Very pleased! It was a joy to know that my work has been well received and taken as I had hoped.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
After shooting the VR piece, myself and my writer, Sean Meldrum, developed the idea from a basic concept. It evolved into what was put to the screen.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
A combination of Seven, Whiplash and Disney’s Hercules. And probably Jurassic Park…
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
Useful! Nice and easy to operate and put out to numerous festivals, with the option of personalising each application.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Probably something by Linkin Park… or something from the 80’s, such as Gold by Spandau Ballet.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I recently finished DPing two features that are doing the festival circuit. One already has an international distribution deal, so that’s great! Other than seeing where they take me, I have Iron Harvest to pitch around, so if anyone is interested???? 😉