Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Lea Ann Vandygriff: A hilarious comedy about a klutzy lawyer, Jim, who decides on a whim to take his family camping at Yellowstone, which is entirely out of his element. He persuades his best friend Josiah and two other families to join them. Josiah is continuously the brunt of Jim’s failed attempts at everything. The quick wit and clumsiness of Jim and the aggravation of Josiah will keep you laughing.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
This screenplay is like Christmas Vacation at Yellowstone. Take a klutzy southern lawyer, add a Latino best friend and there you have it: A love/hate relationship full of laughter.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
As Josiah describes Jim, “Warped with Sprinkles.”
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
The screenplay, a couple of months. “The Camping Lawyer” is based on an actual trip to Yellowstone with friends. Our group of friends and my husband have given me a lot of material over the years.
7. How many stories have you written?
I have written a variety of genres: Christmas, Royal, Southern, Western, Rodeo, Drama, Fantasy, Comedy, and Faith-Based. I have six features, four shorts, a TV Pilot and three books. All have multiple festivals and literary awards.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Disney’s “Happily Ever After.” This song inspires me to keep moving toward my dreams. I listen to every word; it seems to be talking directly to me!
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
The character, “Jim,” is based on my husband. I lost him to cancer in 2015. The memories were bittersweet. I hope that this will be made into a movie because it would leave a legacy of laughter and smiles, which is something; he wanted people to remember about him.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I am passionate about my faith; it has gotten me through many struggles. I would not be where I am running after my dreams without the talents and gifts God has given.
11. You entered your screenplay via Film Freeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
I love Film Freeway; they make it easy to keep up with my many screenplays and stats. It is easy to enter the festivals, and they keep you updated on your favorite festivals.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I have heard good things about your festival, and I checked out your credentials. We had a slight bump in the road, but you took care of it promptly. Thank you.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
Rebecca: Carina Cojeen
Sydney: Christina Leonard
Narrator: Aaron Williams
Narration: Sean Ballantyne
Jim: Geoff Mays
Josiah: Aaron Maxwell Williams