Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Reginald Johnson: Beyond the Cowl is about the role of class in crime and society’s inability to see the humanity in our poorest citizens.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It presents a timely sociological view on law enforcement, the nature of crime, politics with, in my mind, a style and caliber of action closer to an East Asian Martial Arts film (The Raid 2, Ip Man, etc.). If only, WB…if only.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Probably “The Last Dragon” starring Taimak. It was one of three VHS tapes I had as very young kid.
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Tough to quantify. Probably 4 months.
7. How many stories have you written?
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Easy. Funkadelic’s “(Not Just) Knee Deep.”
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Two young children, a full-time job. Learning story structure on the fly.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Family, music and people.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I wrote a story on what was in my head, which happened to be on a piece of studio IP. I liked it and wanted to see what someone else thought. As one might surmise, this was extremely affirming!
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
Batman works to uncover a new sinister crime wave and realizes Bruce Wayne must rise to be the hero that Gotham needs.
Various: Val Cole
Sebastian Hady: Ron Boyd
Alfred: Wyatt Lamoreaux
Narrator: Sean Ballantyne
Bruce Wayne/Batman: John Fray
Candace Collins: Weronika Sokalska
Lonnie Machin: Caleb Jacques
Reblogged this on WILDsound Festival.