Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
The screenplay, Bittersweet Serenity, is about an estranged wife who is desperate to put an end to her failed marriage from a maverick scientist, and joins forces with an endangered family who have been touched by the scientist’s evil. As a result, the wife becomes empowered, through necessity, in order to bring the scientist down and end his tortuous treatment of patients.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Psychological thriller, mystery, horror.
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It’s the hook which is the specific method of treatments done by the scientist which is the use of holograms in a scientific approach, leaving patients wondering if their greatest fears are real, or a dream, and neither which they can escape mentally.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
The Witches of Eastwick, and Tom Cruise’s War of the Worlds.
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Many years. It has been adapted by myself and my co-writer from my published, award winning, novel by the same title name.
7. How many stories have you written?
I have personally written 4 novels, 3 screenplays, and many short stories, most of which are published.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
The Prayer by Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
No obstacles. The words fell onto the pages. No one will stop me from writing my heart out.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I’m also passionate about working as an animal advocate and have done this for many decades due to my deep love for animals.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
Film Freeway is a great and streamlined way to enter submissions.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I’ve done so previously and was pleased with the final product.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
Logline: In the remote mountains of Washington State, there lives an evil and monstrous legend: his name is Dr. Martin Braddock, and he devours souls for a living. The maverick scientist has a brilliant mind and advanced technology, yet he’s about to face his toughest opponent ever . . . his estranged wife, in what becomes a war between the bitter and the sweet.
Genre: Thriller, Mystery
Orenda – 10 – Carrie Schiffler
Narration – David Occhipinti
Krystyna (20s) – 21 – Ella A
Logan (20s) – 17 – Steve Saet