ORACLE played to rave reviews at the December 2017 EXPERIMENTAL FEEDBACK Film Festival in Toronto.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I was really looking for the creative freedom an experimental film provides and began formulating an abstract concept.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
The project took around 8 months from concept to completion, but we had a long pause between the production and post. In total, we used around 2-months for concept, pre-pro, production and post.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Finding a music track that we felt worked with the piece.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I think it’s interesting to see the different directions of thought that the piece provokes in individuals.
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
Gold has always been a fascination of mine, it has represented power, status and beauty throughout history. The piece is dark and emotional. Although it has a specific meaning to me, I wanted to keep the story open, to allow viewers to develop their own feelings and reactions. In a nutshell, the idea was to create a beautiful, abstract piece that evokes emotion…I see it as moving art.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I really don’t think I could narrow this down even slightly. There are so many amazing films out there.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the new(ish) submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I don’t believe I ever used the old platform, but my thoughts are that it is an easy process with expansive options.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Wow, hitting with the hard questions. My taste has always adapted through the years. Bon Iver has always been a strong artist in my collection.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I am always busy working on commercials and branding films, but for experimental, I currently have two in post production and a couple concepts in the pre-pro phases. Check out my site for updates: www.jessicabatson.com