SUNLIGHT OVER WATER played to rave reviews at the December 2017 LGBT FEEDBACK Film Festival.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Jesse Gotfrit: The story came from a personal place, from formative relationships and experiences of intimacy that I had in my adolescence, which I thought would resonate with others.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
From start to finish, a period of about 5 months.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Probably learning about all the technical requirements and also working to get the best performance from my actors.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I enjoyed the mixed reviews. The criticisms were as interesting to me as the compliments.
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
I knew I wanted to make a film that was socially conscious, that had some sort of social ideas that it articulated, but I wanted to draw those ideas from my own lived experiences.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Probably a film in the Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings series that I binged as a kid.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the new(ish) submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I like it. It gives you access to a broad range of festivals that you might not be aware of otherwise.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Honestly probably a Leonard Cohen song, maybe Suzanne because it’s the first on his first record.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I have many film projects underway, all related to queer experiences and ideas, as well as some music and writing projects!
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video of the Short Film:
SUNLIGHT OVER WATER, 15min., Canada, LGBT/Drama
Directed by Jesse Gotfrit
High-schooler Merit discovers his sexuality through a tumultuous relationship with his friend Julien.
CLICK HERE – and see full info and more pics of the film!