“I’m very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.” — Ron Burgundy
Late last year the WILDsound organizers came out with the list of the 100 Greatest Comedy Movies of All-Time. And to make things even funner, there is a link review to each page on the site as well:
Of course, any list like this is going to stir up a little debate. But the equation for coming up with the list is simple:
1) Movie stands the test of time. Is funny when it came out. It’s funny now. And it’s going to be funny in 50 years.
2) Has the best story within the guidelines of it being funny.
3) Trendsetting. Movie that shook up the genre and set it on a different course. Future films have “borrowed” the plot points and situation-al comedy.
4) Pop-Culture influence. When you keep hearing quotes from the film years after it came out, you know you can call is a masterpiece.
5) Emotional moments. The film is funny of course, but there are also moments that make you feel deeply as well.
Put it all together and ANCHORMAN is the greatest comedy movie of all-time. And DR. STRANGELOVE is a very close second.
But take a look at the list and see if you agree or disagree. I’m sure many of your favorites are on the list, but many are not. There are 1000s of great comedies made, but we only could list 100.
Doctor, you mentioned the ratio of ten women to each man. Now, wouldn’t that necessitate the abandonment of the so-called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned? – General “Buck” Turgidson