I DREAM MY DREAM, 4min., Netherlands, Music
Directed by Monique van Kerkhof, Bo Oudendijk
I dream My dream
Exploring and dreaming
Unearthing freedoms, instinctively
with consciousness and unconsciousness intertwined
Circles define as if nothing be something
Some moves for true nearness, I give ground
but my dream after the real you, is real.
Get to know filmmaker Monique van Kerkhof:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I feel the power in visuals. Also, during (day) dreaming, my mind creates images. I want to express this way of dreaming for others. And to discuss what a dream can be for someone else.
The film ‘I dream My dream’ originated from two performances Bo and Monique undertook. One performance about undergoing and exploring and the other one with the theme dreaming. The combination resulted by making a totally different video. Editing it with a music video in mind. Creating an original song and adding text as well. In the film and completed it in a final music video. With in mind a new film production and the possibilities of using the film for different video projections/installations in multiple circles. There will be a possibility for interaction with the visitors.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
10 months in total.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Dream in a dream versus Dream and reality. Tension field of dreaming
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The translation of poem into music and visual. It was not in one go, we had to brainstorm and experiment a lot to figure out the best visual that would fit the content of the poem. For example, we often questioned what is a dream? Since there is no right answer, we tried out a lot of different sounds, images, and video.
Finding nice images and discuss where it would connect with the word of “DREAM”
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
The interpretation of for example as a mother and a mother womb was very interesting and not realizing how strong this image could be …
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
To realize the power of the images and the effect it had on the public during the performances.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Bo Oudendijk: American Beauty, probably more the 50 times.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Issues about promoting your film on their website. A clear info when you have to agree and when not.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
My experiences are positive. Maybe more information on how to work with Filmfreeway and related issues with can happen related with the festival.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Bo Oudendijk: Chicken soup
11. What is next for you? A new film?
We are working on a documentary for a project with food design.