ELEMENTS: BEAUTIFUL UNTRUE THINGS, 8min., Sweden
Directed by Amelia Finngåård
Elements is a solo choreography that is the intersection of nature, fashion, Venusian imagery, and movement. Elements is an exploration of dance/movement and the elements of nature, earth, sun, water and air. The natural influences and sounds of these elements merge with the art form of punking/whacking and fashion in the background of Västra Götaland’s scenic nature.
Get to know producer/star Alyssa Briteramos:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I wanted to begin to explore dance on film as another medium to express my ideas and archive my work. It was also a way to reconnect the specific style of dance I represent back to the medium that its inspired from, film.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
I began the research process, in 2021,with a title and imagery, and 2 books, The Decay of Lying and Complicated Women. Locations were confirmed by the Winter of 2022, The director came back to me with her treatment with images she wanted to incorporate in the Spring of 2022, We shot the footage in the Summer, which I choreographed and mostly improved the piece during the shoot on location. And it manifested into the film by November 2022
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Music selection and music rights. It was all about having the right message and soundtrack.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I’m not sure if it was a realization, it just organically began through different projects I got to participate in. Then I really began to learn and appreciate the process more and see it as another art form to exploring my ideas through the 4th wall.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Wizard of Oz,
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Maybe an opportunity for the filmmakers to be present during the screening, to witness people reacting to the film, in real time.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It’s been really effective in connecting and gaining access with festivals all over the world.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Depends on the season since I live in Scandinavia, but I would generally love Italian or Mediterranean based cuisine.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am currently organizing a dance festival in Sweden, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the dance style represented in this film actually, with other prominent dancers and representatives of the art form which hopefully this film will be shown. . And I hope to continue with more dance films, that continue the narrative that began with Elements and develop it series, exploring female archetypes through movement and film.