GNOTHI SEAUTON, 6min., France, Adventure
Directed by Elodie Lorquet
In the heart of the mountains, a mysterious man is being relentlessly chased down by a hunter. The words “Gnothi Seauton” are tattooed on his left arm…
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
My love of the mountains. As a child I spent my life in the French mountains with my parents. I had promised myself that one day I would make a film there. It’s done ! It is a tribute to these landscapes that I love so much.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
From writing to the end of post-production…one year!
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Enigmatic / Oniric.
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Image editing. The whole film keeps pace. It was a big job for my two editors. We were aware that this film was based on sound creation. Each editing decision was based on the idea: “we can edit this sequence like that because with the sound creation it will work”. It was very distressing because we would say to ourselves “what if our editing doesn’t work with the sound? “. In the end, the sound creation came naturally and when we finished the film we realized that all our editing decisions were the right ones. We were relieved and happy!
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Very happy ! I felt that people were really interested in the film.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
From the age of 16.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Bear by french director Jean-Jacques Annaud. I even studied film in college. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen the film. 100, 150 times? Maybe more ! I know it by heart. It is also a film that takes place in the mountains.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Just talk about the film.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It’s a great platform. Clear, efficient, responsive.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Tartiflette ! French speciality !
11. What is next for you? A new film?
A film of course !