ANYA, 6min., USA, Horror
Directed by Chris Davies
When a sinister entity emerges from the forest on a 1970s Halloween night, a young woman’s true motives are revealed – and her future is decided forever.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Truthfully, it came from a therapeutic place. I felt like I needed to challenge myself and make something from the heart. It had been well over 10 years since I’d directed anything, so I felt it was time to step back into it. I am also a huge horror fan and wanted to make my own love letter to the genre.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It was a very fast process. The idea initially came together in August. A group of filmmaking friends were wanting to make a new horror film and I’ve had this idea for several years. We filmed overnight in November and I completed post-production in January.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Pre-production turned some of my hair gray for sure! Finding a location first and foremost was strenuous. I contacted many places throughout Tennessee. We were fortunate to find a large cabin to house the crew and film nearby – shoutout to Prout cabins! Scheduling everyone accordingly, making a shot list, food, props – a lot of planning, even for a little film like this one!
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
So incredibly flattered and relieved haha. It’s very nerve-racking to share something you’ve created and hear what the audience thinks. But I’m glad to have heard such wonderful feedback. They all felt very heartfelt and meaningful.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I’m a director cliché, it’s something I’ve always wanted to do. I’ve never seen myself doing anything else. It’s just always felt right and natural to me. What started as writing short stories evolved into my current job as a full-time video editor now.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I can quote Jurassic Park word for word and is a rare film that I am always in the mood to watch.
“Dodgson! Dodgson! We’ve got Dodgson here!”
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I appreciate how organized your festival one and being sure to send me all the information I need. There is a lot of effort I see that you put in to benefit the filmmakers.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
So incredibly organized and easy to follow. I appreciate how simple the applying process has been.
10. What is your favorite meal?
I will always be a burger guy and am forever on the hunt for the best burgers. So send me suggestions if you have ’em!
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am grateful to be busy with my freelance editing, so that keeps me working. I am mainly focusing on that and submitting Anya to festivals throughout this year. A new film is always on the horizon though, we will see! First I need a break after this one haha. I would like to move into something different from horror – a documentary has been discussed. You never know!