M4, 24min., Russia, Drama
Directed by Kirill Andreevich Egorov
A young couple Sasha and Katya, living their last days, in connection with the upcoming, inevitable catastrophe, learn about Katya’s pregnancy. What will they do in this situation?
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I have dreamed of trying myself as a director for a long time. When I turned 32, I realized that if I didn’t do it now, I would never make up my mind.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
The film took me about a year to complete. The script was ready in May 2021. In July we started to build a team and in early September we begun filming. We were filming during 6 days. The editing of the film didn’t take long either. The longest process was the work on the sound – I postponed it for several months because I was trying to rights on use of th e particular music that I wanted to be in the film.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
“The hardest part was finding the money”. Just kidding. To be serious, we spent most of our time and energy searching for Sasha. The actress for the role of Katya was found almost immediately. Finding a partner for her was a very difficult task. I really wanted two strangers on the screen to look like a couple with a long story of relationship. The film would not have happened without the chemistry between the main characters. Hope it worked out.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was a very warm feeling. It was really great to realize that people understood the film in another language exactly as it was made.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I remember my first trip to the cinema very clear. It was the 1998 Godzilla movie. I was 9 years old. It was the first movie I saw on the big screen. There was no way back.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
There are two films that I watch several times every year. “House of D” and “The Dark Knight”. I can not explain why, but I just return to these two movies again and again. I know that these films are very different, but each of them resonate strongly with me. Each in its own way.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Feedback is very important for an aspiring director. In my opinion, more detailed analyzes and not only laudatory reviews would also be useful.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
The experience is really great! I am happy that my film will be seen by the audience in different parts of the world.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Fried potatoes with mushrooms.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I have already found the topic. Now I’m looking for a story that will help me to show it. But at the same time, I am waiting for the “M4” to be noticed and I will get a chance to be on the set again.