LAKE EFFECT, 35min., USA, Ski Film
Directed by Mike King, John O’callaghan
Lake Effect is a two-year ski film highlighting the joys of backyard adventure, and the shifting perspective of Mike King a professional skier, who for a decade has only sought adventure from the peaks of mountain tops in the far reaches of the west. In 2020 when Covid encouraged lockdowns & travel restrictions, Mike’s life on the road came to a screeching halt. This abrupt change inspired Mike to take the hurdle as an opportunity to reconnect with the unique, untapped terrain, ski culture, and the people that were thriving right here in his home state of Michigan. Over the course of filming Lake Effect Mike realized you don’t need to travel far to have an epic adventure. Rather some creativity, curiosity, and the willingness to just walk out the door to the abundance that starts right in our backyards.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
The motivation to tell the story of Midwest skiing. Also to put in some of my life changes/ philosophies.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Probably finding crew to help with the production, as well as working with the unreliable snow.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was nervous but they seemed to really like it. It was cool to see what people got out of it. It was what I was hoping but to see it resonate with random people was amazing.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Being a skier, we are obsessed with ski films. I knew one day I wanted to be apart of one. So we started to create our own.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Hmm, Good question. I am not sure!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Yes its been good.
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Oh yes! Maybe involving freshwater!