IN YOUR DREAMS, 3min., USA
Directed by Mike Krohn
In the future, a sentient robot finds that his dreams intrude on his waking life.
Get to know the filmmaker:
What motivated you to make this film?
The Pandemic had shut down production. I wanted to make a film, so I decided to use Virtual Production techniques in Unreal Engine to make one on my computer.
I wanted to show how cinematic and beautiful a film using Virtual Production can be, while moving the audience emotionally. I also wasn’t going to miss the opportunity to make a film featuring robots, space travel and exotic alien planets. I love that stuff, but you don’t get to do it much because they are very expensive to do in live action. Virtual Production makes them possible even on the limited budget of a short film.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
Just under two weeks. That included a lot of late nights.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The biggest challenge was being the only filmmaker working on the project. I had to light, choreograph, shoot and edit the whole film myself. Fortunately, there were a lot of helpful resources available on the internet that made the process easier.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was surprised and delighted that the feedback was so positive. I was also touched that the story and the ideas resonated with so many of the audience members.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
When I was nine years old, I went on the Universal Studios Tour and I came home hopelessly hooked on filmmaking.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Probably Star Wars. I saw Star Wars (the original) 21 times in the cinema before I got into the movie business. Since then I’ve seen it countless times on video and at special screenings. The most recent time I saw Star Wars in a cinema was before the Pandemic, an event for the Visual Effects Society, where they showed the Academy’s print with the original VFX.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I think your festival does more than most. I’m really grateful for the video feedback, this Q&A and for the podcast interview.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
I really like FilmFreeway, and with their help, my film has been seen around the world.
10. What is your favorite meal?
BBQ Chicken at Wood Ranch.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
My producing partner and I are setting up a new production company, so I’ve been developing a number of new screenplays for me to direct. After the success of IN YOUR DREAMS (winning 65+ international awards as of this writing), it seems likely that we will fast-track a sci-fi film made with Virtual Production and including robots.
For more information about IN YOUR DREAMS, please visit this website: