BO|U|NDS, 5min., France, Dance
Directed by Emeline Rochefeuille, Jakub Jakooubek
A short story about breaking out of constrictions, a never-ending quest of self-expansion. Our perception of Love, entwined with the values of curiosity, courage and connection to others…freedom.
Get to know the filmmakers:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
We have been invited to the 10th anniversary edition of EFV (Experiment Film Virginia) happening in Cape Charles this July, a residency program that aims to promote Experimental Short Dance Films. Renata Sheppard, who is the head of the residency program and festival, found us through social media and gave us our very first opportunity to explore our Art form in Filmography. She invited us both as Filmmakers and Dancers. We therefore wrote, directed and played in our very first Short Dance Film, thanks to an amazing crew of artists and experts supporting us throughout the whole process.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It was a 2-week residency where a total of 16 short dance films were created. We arrived on July 17th, had 4 days to come up with the complete idea and pitch it in front of the whole team on Thursday 21st. Then 3 days for the organizational part (attributing crews to each filmmaker, scouting for locations, production phase…), we only had a full day to shoot the whole film on Tuesday 26th, 2 days for the edition part, then we were fine-tuning the sound on Saturday July 30th, as all the films were screened for the first time at the Grand Opening that same evening. An intense and fabulous experience.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Bonds and Bounds.
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Time constraint and lack of experience in the field as it was very new to us.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
It is actually a childhood dream (Emeline) as I wanted to become a filmmaker in the first place. But life took me elsewhere in the meantime and I ended up living as an international traveling dance professional, which I’m grateful about. So Renata reaching out and offering this amazing opportunity was what made us realize that (again).
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
So many, not one in particular comes to mind. But it is probably an animation.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Nothing to add.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
10. What is your favorite meal?
Jakub: Vegetables Coconut Curry
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Traveling Dancing life with lots of new projects beside the regular worldly dance festivals we attend every weekend. For instance we are going to choreograph and direct a ballet for a ballet company in Jersey Island for a month, video concepts around dance, dancing for live music…and yes a new film that we’ll create next summer for EFV (Experimental Film Virginia 2023)
For our social media:
WEBSITE : https://www.jemwcs.com