WAVES, 2min., Australia, Comedy
Directed by Katharina Keil
Two friends Sam and Ethel play a fun game to reconnect at their local beach.
Get to know filmmaker Katharina Keil:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
* The motivation was an application for the Australian Director’s Guild. They had an initiative and as my last short film was 18 years ago, I felt I needed to show my improved skills as director and decided to do a short film for the initiative.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
* 3 weeks from the original idea to the final mix of the short and submitting it to ADG.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
* sardonic & sweet
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
* finding a date where the actors and the team were available for the shoot
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
* I had a smile on my face as big as Sydney to LA. I loved how everyone got really into it and gave me such detailed and positive feedback. What an experience to hear this. It was the first time for me and I’m glad they liked it:))
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
* I was interested in acting since the age of 4 when I acted commercials out for my family. Once I moved to Australia in 1988 I knew that I wanted to be more involved behind the camera and tell my stories. Script Supervising I saw as my apprenticeship for directing and 18 years ago I was at a similar point in my career after having directed a few shorts. However, 2004 a few life changing events stopped that. It took another 18 years to gain my confidence back to pick up directing again.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
* I’m a big fan of Thriller and Action films. Also Film Noir has been an interest for many years. However, the most watched films are Chinatown, Blue Velvet and Love Actually where comedy and drama come together so beautifully. And it’s definitely a genre I want to persue more.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
* I so far love what you are offering to the filmmakers. I guess my next step I would love to meet producers who are looking for upcoming directors for their projects. So networking would be something that would add to your already great festival.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
* I love FilmFreeway. It’s so easy to submit and you only have to upload everything once. So efficient and well structured to keep an eye of the most amazing festivals and their deadlines.
10. What is your favorite meal?
* Seafood like Mussels for Main and anything Chocolate like Tiramisu for Desert:)
11. What is next for you? A new film?
* I’ve got a young adult TV Series I want to pitch next year and I’m meeting with the writer of Waves, Giles Gartrell-Mills, to discuss a feature film.