FINGER, 7min., Canada, Horror
Directed by Brandon Wickson
After killing his bride on the night of their wedding, a deranged man must come to terms with his guilt.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I was walking our dog when I discovered the staircase out in a field, it was a very haunting find as it just felt so out of place in the middle of nowhere and I knew I wanted to make a short film that included it. I took a bunch of reference photos and started thinking of a concept.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
After finding the staircase location, I brought the idea and reference photos to my roommates and the following night we went to Value Village, got all the costumes, makeup and props and shot it that very night. I edited it right after filming and we had picture lock by the next morning. I then worked for about a month with our incredible composer, Kai Korven, to make sure the music fit the tone and vibe of the idea.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
In two words I would describe the film as beautiful yet intimate.
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The biggest obstacle while shooting this film was managing to light the exterior scenes with only small Aputure MC’s. My full frame camera sensor really came in handy in such low light!
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
My initial reaction was joy and excitement just coming to terms with the fact they were talking about my film. I have made shorts for years but this is the first time ever submitting to a festival and it’s been a very fun experience.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I’ve always wanted to make films, even in elementary school I made shorts with my friends as a fun hobby but slowly became much more than that in high school. Now I’m in second year film school at Sheridan College which is really elevating my filmmaking and film career.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The film I have seen most in my life is either Mad Max Fury Road or Requiem for a Dream. Both are some of my favourite films of all time and there is inspiration from both in my own work.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It has been very smooth and easy! I had never submitted anything before so having one site I can do it all from was great.
9. What is your favorite meal?
My favourite meal is Chicken Shawarma on rice or Spicy Salmon Maki Rolls
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Next for me will be finishing the semester off at school, then in the new year putting a stronger focus on DoPing my friends projects while beginning to put my next short into pre production.