THE POWER IS YOURS, 7min., France, Fashion
Director : Urivaldo Lopes
Creative Director : Steeven Kodjia
I am not African because I was born in Africa but because Africa was born in me.” – Kwame Nkrumah (First President of Ghana). These words have marked the mind of Steeven Kodjia, Founder and Creative Director of the brand French Deal. These words led him to Ghana, kingdom of the Ashanti people, to imagery his KODJIA beret collection through the Fashion Film “The Power Is Yours.”. It is Africa that parades before our amazed eyes. Mixing times and fights. The KODJIA berets speak of the memories of the great leaders of the motherland and its Afro-descendants.
Get to know Creative Director Steeven Kodjia:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Our aim was to pay tribute to the Black Panther Party movement and to great black leaders who fought on the African continent and in the world for awareness, emancipation and evolution of the black people. The creation of the beret KODJIA symbolizes the power of this message carried by fashion.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
We worked for 7 months to prepare this project.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The biggest obstacle is that I am perfectionist and I put pressure on myself to try to make a powerful fashion film.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was touched by all the people who had glowing compliments about our fashion film. It’s always touching to know that people appreciate my work.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
It has always been my wish since the beginning of the creation of my brand French Deal.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Malcolm X and Menace to Society
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
May your Festival continue to grow! It would be interesting to hold a physical ceremony with physical awards.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
The experience was very good.
10. What is your favorite meal?
It is a dish of my country, Ivory Coast, called “Attiéké Poisson”.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am currently working on my new collection and the script of my next Fashion Film which will present this new collection.