SLOPPY JONES, 25min., Canada, Comedy/Web Series
Directed by Emily Cohn
Sloppy Jones is a short form slasher comedy series about three queer Gen-Zillennial servers working at Sloppy Jones Grill: RORY, a free spirited people pleaser; HARPER, a book-smart, bisexual bartender; and THOMAS, a calculating b*tch. This Unholy Trinity’s world is upended when they discover the severed torso of their dirtbag boss FRANK JONES in the freezer, just as DEBORAH, Frank’s estranged wife, makes a perfectly timed entrance into their lives. Now every single one of them looks guilty and no one is safe until the trio find out- Who killed Frank…and who will they kill next?
Get to know producer Susie Nation:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I think all three of us wanted to write something that we would genuinely want to watch. We wanted something funny and escapist but also dark and messy. Working in the service industry and navigating life in your twenties can be all of those things, so we wanted to explore those experiences and themes on a heightened level.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Gay and sloppy ;)!
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Financing was definitely our biggest obstacle. We have amazing grants in Ontario, but they are very competitive, so we did face rejection.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I felt really validated, seen and understood! I was so impressed by how insightful their story analysis was. It was really amazing to see that people appreciated what we are trying to do.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I’ve always been obsessed with film, I grew up making movies with my sister on the weekends. I didn’t think I could ever be a filmmaker, so I entered the industry through acting. It was really only at like 23 years old that I realized I could be a creator too.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Hmmmmm thats a really good question! I think The Titanic… still makes me wail.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Honestly I think you are doing an excellent job with everything! I really appreciated those reviews and getting the chance to talk to you today/ on the podcast!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Great! Its very user friendly and has really helped us get our show out there.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Ooo I know this is something everyone says, but I’d have to go with a really good pizza and a refreshing side salad.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m writing my first feature right now and in post-production for a short POV documentary that will be released in spring 2023 :).