ELLIDA, 85min., Switzerland, Drama/Relationships
Directed by Leon Mitchell
Producer/Star: Katrina Syran
Writer: Birgit Syran Myaard
Based upon Henrik Ibsen’s famous play, The Lady From The Sea. It’s set in a timeless period shot south of Norway where Munch painted his masterpiece The Sun. We follow the journey of Ellida’s world of loss, love and passion, heightened with the compositions of Grammy winner Mark Thomas and cinematography of Bafta-nominated Ian James Gray.
Get to know Katrina Syran:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Being Norwegian I’ve grown up with Ibsen and I have played many of his roles, Gerd from Brand, Hilde from The Master Builder, Nora from The Dolls House & I have even translated for U.K. big theatre director Mike Alfreds the play, Ghosts.
After writing 3 of his plays into monologues, Hedda Gabler,The Dolls House & The Lady From The Sea and producing & directing them I realised The Lady From The Sea is a very visual play and could work beautifully as a movie.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
So the idea came 10 years ago. It’s been a long, long process but I believe in it so when you have a big dream you do everything to make it happening. Of course thanks to so many who also became passionated about the project, one can do nothing alone.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I feel so chuffed! So happy that they see everything I wanted to get across.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
As a creative person I love creating so if I have an idea I will create it if it’s a play, a song, a book, a script, a painting, a statue or a film. If it burns inside me I will not let it go, I will make it happen.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Gone With The Wind. That movie even helped me get through the toughest time in my life.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
I love it
10. What is your favorite meal?
Fresh fish, crabs any seafood
11. What is next for you? A new film?
That would be a dream come true if this movie will be a success