METAMORPHOSIS, 48min., USA, Thriller/Horror
Directed by Jonathon Kimble
Directed, shot, and performed solely by Jonathon Kimble, “Metamorphosis” was filmed during the COVID lockdown of Spring/Summer 2020 in Toledo, Ohio. A man is quarantined alone in his house while his wife is intubated in an ICU. As his whole world is reduced to being trapped inside of his own small house, a malevolent entity seems to be trying to force itself in.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Three main factors… My girlfriend is a frontline worker so she went back to work right away during lockdown. I was home alone everyday, and not working, so I was actually going crazy. Second, I was very frustrated with some aspects of my last film project so I wanted to prove some things to myself creatively. Lastly, right off the bat it was very politically and philosophically edifying seeing how our country, in particular, was handling yet another massive crisis. So, this was a way for me to explore that.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
All together I’d say a year. I shot probably 80% of the film over 2-3 months during the first “lockdown” in 2020. Then, I tabled the project for about a year. I came back to it and finished the filming and editing over the course of six months maybe?
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Just the challenge of having to meticulously set up every shot myself and perform it without any help.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Honestly, I can’t remember not wanting to do this.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I’m not sure, but it has be Kubrick’s work
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
No complaints. Easy to use and communication is great.
9. What is your favorite meal?
This answer is an eyeroll but, my favorite meal at this point in life is when I’m lucky enough to be travelling and someone local who knows the good food just takes you to the best place and orders everything for you.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes, I am working on something daunting.