NEW WORLD ORDER, 5min., Singapore, Music Video
Directed by Susan Lim, Christina Teenz Tan, Samudra Kajal Saikia
An inanimate toy companion to a young girl fears irrelevance with the passage of time, from childhood through medical school and as the girl prepares to graduate. As it is exposed to the science and disruptive technologies in the girl’s college curriculum, it starts to crave some artificial intelligence, robotics and brain implants as it demands a voice, mobility, and most of all, respectability. Is this a new world order in the eyes of the inanimate ?
Get to know director Susan Lim:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
The new disruptive technologies available today – robotics, synthetic biology and artificial intelligence enable repair, and for those who may need to regain mobility, respectability, here is some optimism, communicated through this animated short.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It started with a song, lyrics first, then music, a recording at Abbey Road studios, followed by animation inspired by the lyrics. From start to end, it was done in 18 months !
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Inspiring , Enabling
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Really none, I was surrounded by like minded musicians and animators dedicated to the story of ALAN.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
My heart ‘melted’, I was moved, drawn into their comments, uplifted in my spirits, and motivated to continue in our story of ALAN the Inanimate. Thank you to the wonderful audience for the awesome feedback !
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Ever since I embarked on my musical journey in 2016, I realised that the story I wanted to tell on the ‘Future of Companionship between Human and Inanimate” needed to come alive, through music and film.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Home, by Pixar. I adore the Boov.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
You are doing just great ! It means a lot to us independent film makers seeking to tell our story to a global audience.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It has been nothing short of wonderful. The process is seamless, user friendly, and the platform is amazing in showcasing the film festivals around the world.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Japanese , fresh sashimi is wonderful, though I also love Italian !
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes, the series continues in space with a cosmic rhapsody !! The music has been recorded and animation work has just begun. Do stay tuned !! And thank you again.