POGO IS BORED, 4min., Australia, Animation
Directed by Richie Valentino
Pogo and best friend Flower are always in search of something new to do. They love to help others in need and are very keen to jump in with innovative ideas to do so.
Interview with director Richie Valentino
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Well, the previous film I made was quite deep and tragic in its message. Even though it did quite well when released it was released during the covid lockdown years and I thought I needed to make another quick short which was on a happier and entertaining note. I needed to try something funny.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
About 6 months
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Trying to create something funny. I always have the theme of equality in the films I create, but they always seem to have a dark edge to them. It’s a part of me which I find hard to avoid. Even with Pogo’s simple message, there had to be an added dark twist like the hose up the bum, he, he… I loved it
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Super happy that its message was understood, clear and …that it was funny.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
After realising all the films I have made were quite dark and I needed to challenge myself to something light and funny.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Tim Burton’s A nightmare before Christmas
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Ways of connecting with others in the industry.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Really great, it has opened a portal to the rest of the world.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Any type of Vegetarian curry.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m in the process of creating Pogo is bored episodes 2 and 3 and seeking out an agent to help promote a feature fantacy/scfi film which has been written.