HOW DID WE GET HERE was the winner of FUNNIEST FILM at the LA COMEDY Festival July 2022.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I wanted to try a different form of film than just a regular short. Experiment a little. I come from a sketch comedy and improv background at Second City in Chicago, so I thought, why not do some sketch comedy and try to create a whole show concept? So I started with the pilot.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
A few months in concept development. Then, we had a writers room in December for a week with a bunch of talented writers I know from LA and Chicago, then shot a few months later. In total, about 10 months from idea to execution.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Films are filled with obstacles every day, big and small. Especially when you’re producing. The difference between the ones that get made and don’t is how you bring creative solutions to tackle those obstacles.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Loved that it made people laugh. I also loved how it made people think a bit and challenged expectations.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I’ve always been a writer, but it wasn’t until I spent time making commercials and telling stories that I thought, “I want to do this all the time” but not just for companies, for myself.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I think it would be a tie between Raiders of the Lost Ark and Iron Man.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
This promotion ability is great. So keep doing that, and filmmakers will love to come to your fest, knowing you work with them to get eyeballs on their work.
9. What is your favorite meal?
I’d have to say tacos, or pizza. Can’t go wrong with either, though my doctor says to pick better options.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m producing a few shorts this year, and currently writing a feature to be shot next year. The goal is also to pitch the sketch show to production companies or streamers in the hopes that we can make the other 4 episodes we wrote.