GREENER PASTURES was the winner of BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN at the July 2022 FEMALE Feedback Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
My mom got really sick with covid and my dad told me to prepare myself because it looked like she was going to die. She is okay now but that is what inspired it! I was trying to cope with the stress and had a “day dream” as I was trying to fall asleep that was basically Greener pastures.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took a year.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
I would describe it as “family grief” wow two words is tough!
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The time crunch overall because I made this film as my senior thesis, but while we were actually filming it was freezing. This caused obstacles with the picture car as well as our personal cars, a lot of batteries died. It was also filmed five hours away from our residency location so that was difficult to cordate.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was surreal! I was overcome with gratitude because the film won an award and a group of people responded well to it! It really felt amazing to hear the ways that the film resonated with everyone and the things that they thought worked! Its a crazy feeling when something you create works the way you indented. Surreal!
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I was a photographer for years, then I got to art school and I took a video to zoetrope class; I was assigned to make a video and I fell in love immediately. I think that I always know I wanted to make films though. I had the chance to be on a film set as a kid and I was in owe but I didn’t know how I felt about it yet or where I fit into it.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Fun question! I think I’ve defiantly watched Ferris Buller’s day off a lot and Call me by Your Name is also way up there in times I’ve watched.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
This is my fist time submitting to festivals! I think that the way things are doing on filmfreeway are great! Though, It would be super helpful if there were specific filters we could use on filmfreeway to find new festivals.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Its been awesome, I love that I can fill out the project file so that I didn’t have to put all of the information in for each festival. I think its also a great way to find festivals. The only issue I had with the site is my google chrome auto filled my email somewhere as my mom’s and I cant change it.
10. What is your favorite meal?
I love food so this is a tough one, it changes constantly. I am not sure if it’s a meal but I love egg and potato breakfast tacos- in fact all breakfast food. I also love chicken tikka masala.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am currently taking a break and traveling for the summer to celebrate graduation and the film. But after that I am planning to make another film and a documentary!