THE OPENINGS was the winner of BEST MUSIC at the June 2022 Experimental/Dance Festival.
What motivated you to make this film?
While I was hearing The openings by Mrs. Zanganeh, I began to imagine what picture she was visualizing at the moment of performing, since she had lost her sight a few years before that in a car accident. I tried to see from her window; what I was exposed to. Through her silky voice and the poem, I found myself stuck on a white screen trying to escape from that. And I imagined she might be stuck on the same square. Trying to feel what she was experiencing drives me to make this video.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
About 8 months
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Translating the vision into a movement that fits the narrative.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I enjoyed it and felt the message reach the audience.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I started my career as a photographer many years ago so I was familiar with the camera, but I got into experimental filmmaking in 2017.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
In different genres, there are different films that I watched over and over but I think “The last temptation of Christ” by Martin Scorsese is your answer.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I think you have done great work. I don’t have a specific idea about that at the moment.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How have your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?