DEMI-GODS was the winner of BEST SOUND & MUSIC at the June 2022 ANIMATION Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Well, we live in difficult times: War, increasing narcissism in social media for example and ecological destruction. The film addresses these three dark aspects of humanity in the form of a musical and visual essay. It shows our worship of these dark forces, which have now become normalized and fetishized. A furtive look from us mortals at the mechanics of the dark demi-gods of our time.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It was a spontaneous project with collage artist Nikola Gocić with whom I have already collaborated on two other films. It took about two months to finish all animations and the soundtrack.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The animations were really complicated because the original static collage artworks were very rich in shapes and overlays. For the first animation, the Machinist of War, for example I wasn’t happy with the first results of the walking movements. Therefore, to find a satisfactory solution I studied the movement of amphibians to understand the physiological aspect. I had to do similar research for the other animations.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I must admit I was very moved by the positive feedback!
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I am actually a professional composer of contemporary music. In the past, I have always created audiovisual compositions as well. In doing so, I use video sequences like musical scores. I still do it that way. Then, a few years ago, I dared to try submitting these works to film festivals. I wasn’t sure if there was an audience for this kind of film. But it worked out. Since then, my films have been shown regularly at international film festivals.
Concerning Demi-Gods the idea of making the film came up when I saw a new collage by Nikola Gocić showing a kind of cyborg man being about to cut a surreal flower on which a fairy sat. I was impressed by the strong contrast, a duality which felt somehow familiar. Then I immediately started to create a concept for a new film.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
The idea and concept of your festival is just great! Refreshingly different. And getting direct feedback is so valuable to a filmmaker.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Only good experiences. It makes submissions very easy. Above all, finding out suitable festivals for certain categories.
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
A film called Night Ride from LA. I was filming the whole car ride from Los Angeles to the desert by taking long exposure single photos at night a few years ago. While listing to jazz music it felt like a meditation. I want to share this unusual experience.