1. What is your screenplay about?
It’s a coming of age story about a trans rockstar trying to navigate coming out in both their queer/lesbian communities and to the world, while staying true to their music.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
TV Series – There is very little representation of trans masculine people in television. This story shows the journey of a trans youth in the early 2000’s, when queers were still fighting over space, language, and politics: pre-instragram and available pronouns. I chose this time because this is when trans politics started to surface due to discrimination within our gay and queer communities…for example as mentioned in the pilot ep, the Michigan Womyn’s Festival was enforcing a woman’s only space and excluding trans people from entering. To burst open this history and share it on the screen I feel is vital. Beau is a fabulous way to do it, because Beau is a sexy talented rockstar. Viewers will swoon over Beau, fall in love, and follow the complex world of politics through his journey.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Stand By Me
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
1 year, 3 months
7. How many stories have you written?
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Lucky to be Alive by My Morning Jacket
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
This draft is #5 or 6. For this draft I rushed it to make the deadline, but once I started new paths popped in my face and I essentially rewrote 65% of it…in other words I wrote an hour long pilot in four days.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Drag Kinging and swimming
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
They are fabulous, so easy and always up-to-date on submissions
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
The feedback was great. But I’m so happy I entered, because the feedback really helps me.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
The story of a teenage rock star whose journey begins the night they reveal being F to M. It’s prom night in Kalamazoo, IL 2003. BEAUTY ROBERTS dressed like a prom queen shakes in front of a mirror. Their prom date SAM pleads under the window to understand why she took off. Beauty wants to see themselves for who they truly are, which is Beau. Beauty/Beau is transgender. He is also a talented singer songwriter with a rock star edge. Beauty cuts off their hair, washes off their makeup, and takes off to Chicago to make it as Beau.
Narrator: Val Cole
Beauty: Kyana Teresa
Beth: Hannah Ehman
Sam/Bill: Shawn Devlin