THE WORLD TO MY DAUGHTER played to rave reviews at the May 2022 Toronto FEMALE Feedback Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I want to tell stories that make people think. I think the world we live in right now is complicated. Fear dominates. Lack of respect and less tolerance. The position of women is primarily a theme that has fascinated me since 2005. Women and men are not the same, but they deserve equal treatment. That is not the case at the moment. If you just look at the numbers of violence against women, which have risen during the corona crisis. However, as women we cannot do it alone, we must tackle this together with men. That’s what I like about the UN’s HeforShe program (heforshe.unwomen.nl), which I am committed to. Together we can bring about change. I want to leave the world a little more beautiful than I found it. For my children and future generations. I want to do that with my skills and they lie in front of me in the field of media.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took me in total 2 years.
I got the idea for the script for a year before the lockdown. I thought about grey, gloomy images of a dirty city, with people wearing masks. A year later, that apocalyptic image suddenly became reality. It did give me the chance to make beautiful images in a city with quiet streets. It would not have been possible otherwise, at least not without a huge budget.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
He for She
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Writing the script and not making it boring
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
A great experience that people actually watched my film and took the trouble to share from their perspective and their own experiences.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
When I wanted to sketch a future. Fiction film is a great way to inspire people and telling stories is what I liked best
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Specially love all movies from director & screenwriter Nora Ephron
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
My first film is completed and know I want to create a movement for the He for She Campaign. To talk Live about this film and the concept He for She on many different stages.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
I think this platform is a great way of achieving change!
10. What is your favorite meal?
Home cooked meal with fresh products served on a large well set table with my family and friends
11. What is next for you? A new film?
My new film will be ‘The world to my Son’. I am at this point looking for funding and creating it.
Its not only He -for -She but also She -for -He…I have to make a new movie with my son Alex to create balance.
I would like to continue making films like Nora Ephron. Always with a message or about matters that are close to my heart. Movies that matter, that’s what matters to me.