PHENOMENA was the winner of BEST SOUND & MUSIC at the April 2022 ACTION/ADVENTURE Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I had a vision of the 2 main actors “Riley Paull” and “Jaydin Pommer” riding a tandem bike together and solving mysteries. It was a no-brainer to have the mystery involve aliens and the chemistry between all three characters is truly undeniable after that it was really just letting my writer “Nate Flaman” fill in the blanks with his hilarious and meaningful dialogue. I view it as a Kinda fast-food version of “Men in Black”.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
We made this film for a 48-hour film competition so we started filming and finished it all within 48 hours. The idea came about 3 weeks before that and this version is an extended cut because of the requirements of the festival having a 4-minute time limit but for the most part 48 hours.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The biggest challenge we had was performing the practical effects of the alien. It was extremely late at night and things weren’t always sticking together. coordinating all the costuming and prosthetics and making sure they didn’t fall off because of the goop and lifting up his claws with fishing line that kept breaking was a big process but I think we nailed it in the end.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was fantastic! It’s so great to hear people to compliment the specific parts of our film we tried so hard to make work. I never really hear feedback on the post-credit scene but to hear someone mention it makes me feel like that decision was worth it.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I’ve wanted to make films ever since I got my hands on my parent’s camera. I would watch a movie like “Alien” when I was 9 and then get obsessed with it and just make my own version with my friends and I guess I just never stopped.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended) definitely.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Any opportunities to meet with other filmmakers is always what I’m looking for.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Pretty great! It’s very streamlined and easy to use. I get overwhelmed with the amount of festivals but I love using it.
10. What is your favorite meal?
nachos or ribs
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Always more films! I would love to adapt some of my short films like “Phenomena” into features or a series, So I am working with my writer and eventually going to find funding or just make it happen.