GO FETCH CLUB played to rave reviews at the April 2022 LA LGBTQ+ Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I was tired of the gate keeping of our industry and tired of waiting for someone to deem me worthy to receive a job. I was so frustrated about being called in for sad refugee roles who needed a white savior to be saved. So I picked up my pen and started writing my own role I would want to play. Go Fetch Club is a story based on my real life experiences dog walking for the one percent in New York City.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
I have been writing the whole series for two years.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
I had never made a film before and the dreaded lack of budget.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was super overwhelmed by the details that the audience picked up and how passionate people were in watching this piece.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
My last audition in about November 2019. I auditioned for a popular tv show for another stereotypical “Terrorist wife number 1” role and the casting director said, “Pilar you’ve put in so much work but it looks like you really don’t want to be here.” And that’s when I realized these roles weren’t going to progress the conversation any further or help empower little kids that look like me. That’s when I decided to write my own show.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Oh, I have no idea. I wish I had a cooled answer, but I The Holiday, or Aladdin?!
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I would love to know about pitching or what comes next after making a film. Or how to “get in” at a network to pitch a series. YouTube has a lot of conflicting information.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It’s been pretty good. Up and down with some festivals and not know what to expect. Definitely read the reviews before submitting to something.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Caccio e Pepe.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Go Fetch Club is 5 episodes. I would love to find funding or a network that picks up the piece so I could film the whole season. I’m figuring out next steps to see how to make that happen.