DARK ECHO was the winner of BEST FILM at the April 2022 THRILLER/SUSPENSE Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
We really like thrillers and their tension. «Dark echo» is inspired by Scandinavian thrillers. Dark and depressing atmosphere, detective investigation. There is a similar atmosphere in Siberia. But we wanted to make it authentic. We were looking for a new approach in the genre, an unusual structure for the story.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
The development of the idea took about 2 months. 1 month of script writing and pre-production. Approximately 6 days of shooting and 2 months of post-production.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Finding a way out of a hopeless situation
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The main difficulty was to wait for the right weather. It needed the right atmosphere to make this story come true.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I thought: this is very cool! Real people gave feedback about the film. This is the most important thing for us. It is especially cool that the film was appreciated.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
It was at school. Cinema has so many interesting stories. Later we wanted to make our own movie and liked the process very much.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
That’s a very difficult question, mostly thrillers and drama. Probably favorite Christopher Nolan’s «Interstellar». It is my favorite film, very emotional and conceptual. I also like the films of Andrei Tarkovsky, Denis Villeneuve, David Fincher.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I think your festival is great. Feedback from people and promotion. I am surprised and I really like your festival!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
The platform is very user-friendly and understandable. Easy to find interesting festivals.
10. What is your favorite meal?
WOK noodles with chicken.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
We plan to make more films. Perhaps, it will be a full-length thriller.