BEING A DOG was the winner of BEST FILM at the March 2022 ANIMATION Feedback Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I have a Autism diagnosis and I had difficulties with getting close relationships. For a very long time I was sad for not having a partner. I wanted to share my feelings for not having a partner with others. I wanted to tell a story about how it is to be different from my perspective, how it is to be a human being from my point of view and that alienation can be overcome. I saw a great way to heal a lot of pain that was inside of me, which it did. For me it was like a therapy.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took 4 years. I started it as a comic book. Then I tried to find a style I felt was fitting for my movie. I did animate the movie all by myself, if I would have done it full time it would have taken 6 months.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
To animate the whole movie all by myself, it takes a lot of time. It was also a obstacle to sync the music, the sound and the voices in a good way.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was incredibly happy. It keeps me motivated to do more stories that I want to touch other people with. Stories that need to be told!
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Around seven and eight years old.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Tim Burtons – The Nightmare Before Christmas
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I would like to get in touch with producers and get involved in some cooperations. I`m not sure how this might look like but som kind of platform for this kind of connections and networking.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It’s a great festival platform site, I have learned many new tools with the platform site recently.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Hamburger and French fries
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes, I´m making a new film about cats, 2D animated as well and an animation for a music video. Right now I’m working on commissions. One music video about that fear can be overcome and I am developing a short film about my two cats. One is introvert and the other one is extrovert. They help each other and overcome obstacles.