1. What is your screenplay about?
A disgruntled Hallmark employee strives to save Christmas from the evil clutches of, well – Hallmark, in the Christmas movie parody.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Rom com and comedy (at least I hope comedy, since I wrote it to be funny).
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
There have been some parodies made of the genre, but I think this adds a couple of levels.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Airplane (I wish I were more sophisticated!)
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
7. How many stories have you written?
Two screenplays, one book, and hundreds of news stories as a former reporter.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Reelin’ in the Years – Steely Dan
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
The main obstacle was my wife. She loves Hallmark movies, and didn’t want me lampooning the sanctity of the genre.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Saving the whales, and, um, baby seals, and other stuff that makes it seem like I have something resembling a heart.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
Very easy to use and relatively intuitive.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I felt the need to know if this was screenplay was actually any good (you know, from people other than those who love me). The feedback was pretty spot on. Weaknesses were exposed and I agreed with them – and fixed!
Watch the Screenplay Reading: