F*G was the winner of BEST PERFORMANCES at the Feb. 2022 LGBTQ+ Toronto Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I discovered my homosexuality really late, at the age of 27. I t was a real shock. I needed to make a movie about this, like a therapy, because it was really hard for me, and also because I have imagined, at this moment, what every LGBT people in the world can feel and live when they discover this in a society which is, like mine, not open-minded about this. One day, I was making a short film in a school whith students, and I heard the word “fag” pronounced about 3 times in a sentence. It was a revelation. How can nowadays young people pronounce it so many times while they are supposed to be better open minded that the previous generations ? This day, I realized that I had to do this movie !
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It was quite short. I wrote it in two days, in february 2018. Wh shot it on february 2019. The post-production was only 3 months long, so the movie was first released on june 2019.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Homophobia – Tolerance
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Find budget. We did it whith a small budget (30 000€) while in france, a produced medium-lenghth movie costs between 120 or 150 000€.
And also find the two main characters. For Esteban, only 4 people came to the casting. The role was frightening many young people. ANd I found the main actor for Thomas only 10 days before shooting, it was really hard to find the good person for this.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
First, I was afraid of hearing bad things. But the whole team was really kind, encouraging and I received only positive vibes from them. It is really important because making a movie is always hard, and I’m actually writing a feature film, which is hard, so hearing all this gave me some strength.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I was may be 6 or 7 years old. Whith a friend, we borrow his father’s cam corder and we shot our first short film. It was about a sorcerer I thing, and a skeleton made with paper… It was so pleasant ! Between the age of 14 and 18, I directed many shorts whith friends, thanks to my father’s cam corder. I think that I have always wanted this.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Star Wars Episode 1 – The Phantom Menace. About 50 times I think 🙂
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
What you have already done is incredible, really !
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
I don’t really understand this question sorry… But that ‘s my producer’s job to apply for festivals on filmfreeway, I don’t really do this, sorry…
10. What is your favorite meal?
Cheeeeeeese !!! Always and forever 🙂
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m writing a feature film… Some sick young people, stuck in a “center”. But they discover that some things are not clear in this centre… It will be a thriller.