VISUAL POETRY: SELF LOVE played to rave reviews at the January 2022 EXPERIMENTAL Film Festival.
1- What motivated you to make this film?
– Well, my very first passion in life has always been writing, especially poems, even though writing poems is something I do as a hobby since my main focus in my career is filmmaking. One day I realized that I’ve accumulated so many poems, and there are a few that I’m actually proud of, so I decided to implement them into my filmmaking world by making the Visual Poetry series.
2- From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
– This was actually a very impulsive/last minute project, I had to travel to LA for the screening of my narrative short film “Martha’s Day” and a week before traveling I had the impulsive urge to shoot a small project during the week that I was going to be LA, you know, to take advantage of the weather there, and that’s when I decided to pick one of my poems and turned it into a film.
3- How would you describe your film in two words!?
– Visual Poetry (haha) or maybe as a “poetic journey”
4- What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
– Possibly the limited pre-production time, however thanks to my powerful team, specially the producer (Mrigank) and the AD (Fouad), the whole process went more smoothly than expected.
5- What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
– I covered my face as I blushed, it really put a big smile on my face, this is a very personal film and hearing what other people think of it is such a beautiful experience.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6- When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
– When I graduated high school I had zero idea of what I wanted to do with my life, I knew I wanted to be a writer, but as a hobby. I didn’t know what I wanted as a career, until one day, randomly, I woke up and suddenly I knew exactly what I wanted to do: films.
7- What film have you seen the most in your life?
– Mr Nobody!
8- What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
– Honestly you guys already do an AMAZING job, I hope that one day you guys get to do an in-person screener event to facilitate networking opportunities (I’m terrible at talking through zoom or video chats).
9- You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
– So far so good, filmfreeway has a great platform that truly facilitates and centralizes the whole festival experience.
10- What is your favorite meal?
– Ripe plantains with cheese for sure!
11- What is next for you? A new film?
– Working on the pre-production of the rest of the Visual Poetry series and currently also working on the production of my next dance film called “Mane” which will be shot on Feb 6th which I’m extremely excited about!